Wednesday 27 February 2013

23 years old and having a fantastic time as a Rotarian

Connor Phipps is 23 years old and proud to be a member of the Rotary Club of Drury. 


The following is a letter from Connor Phipps to District Governor Ron Seeto (9920) about his experience with RYLA as published on http://9920.rotarynews.org.nz

I am 23 years old and I am a member of the Rotary club of Drury. I recently had the privilege of attending the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) in Queensland, Australia. I went to the RYLA course held in the Rotary District 9640, where the course was run in a beautiful area called Tyalgum Ridge Retreat. Tyalgum is approximately one and a half hours drive from the Gold Coast and upon arriving at the destination it is officially in the state of New South Wales.

My Rotary Club of Drury has a sister club being the Rotary Club of Surfers Paradise and a way in which to bring our two clubs closer together we have agreed to send a person from NZ to attend RYLA in Australia and then a person in Australia will be sent to attend RYLA in our District each year. I was privileged to be selected by my club to go and attend the RYLA course in Australia.

RYLA was an incredible experience for me, I was not sure what to expect or what I would gain and learn from the experience. There is a huge amount of secrecy leading into the course so even before you get there the nerves are definitely running high! I look back on all the experiences that I had during my week at RYLA and am constantly amazed by how quickly we went from being strangers to becoming great friends. I cannot think of many courses in which you go from being complete strangers to knowing each other better than what some of your friends and family you have known your whole life do in just one week.

During the course we had varying activities, the days were always full on and nonstop. We had great speakers come along, all with different stories and messages that really inspire you. We also had plenty of outdoor activities which involved getting very muddy at times which was great fun and filled with plenty of laughs.

Since RYLA I have been asked many times what I gained from this course and I seem to find that words cannot truly describe the experience that I went through. I like to think of it as a transformation process in which RYLA is just the beginning. It gives you the confidence, skills and friends to be able to go back to the outside world and know what you may need to change and how to change it. For me personally it put many things into perspective and showed me the tools needed to improve and achieve my goals in life. One of the biggest things I walked away with was how proud I am to be a Rotarian, to know that there are these courses but to also see how majorly this course impacted on peoples’ lives reinforced why I joined Rotary.

Connor Phipps Rotarian ROTARY DRURY